RCTID Making the Grade 2019 - Episode 1 @ Colorado Rapids

You've seen the flakes fall, you've seen the goals scored...  Really, what a debacle.  That wasn't soccer.  That was reminiscent of a U-11 match played just because it was as much fun to slide in the snow in shorts as it was pretending you were actually playing soccer (see Feilhaber's postgame quote in @mhoff piece)...

There are several other great articles on the run of play, the strategy of the game, the aftermath, etc. and so the focus here is on the tactical performance of each player.  Speaking of great articles:
But before I digress too far... Here we are, one game under the belt and a first opportunity to grade the players.  Because seriously, they deserve to be graded, right?  They get paid to play and whether or not our endless and boundless fanaticism puts them on pedestals, we still need a dose of reality.  And so here is that reality...

Methodology:  To remind folks, the methodology is simple (I apply the K.I.S.S. theory as much as possible in my life): Players and Coaches all start off at a "C" grade for stepping onto the pitch or actively roaming the coach's box.  We'll start with players, including subs, and then go to the coach.

Ready for this???  Here is your starting lineup:


So... where should we start.  How about the train wreck of a back line for starters???

Zarek Valentin, Larrys Mabiala, Julio Cascante and Jorge Villafana = D.  
I would give them an F for that type of performance but the conditions were a major factor.  It seems they never realized that they needed to adjust their game due to the conditions.  They continued to stab and watch the ball and if there is one thing I tell my U12 kids on defense it is to be patient and stay in front of the ball.  That Benny Feilhaber run...  How many Timber defenders threw their legs out in desperation instead of skating in front of the ball???
Even under these crappy conditions it seemed the clearances were crap, the communication was crap and the organization was crap.  On the other hand, the Colorado defense did an amazing job of stepping in front of Portland crosses and passes and gets a B+ (and the fact that Tim Howard went ageless on us...)!
Also, I'm not sure if the conditions were impacting but I'm so used to the wing backs making the end to end runs and I'm not sure I saw one the entire game.  Villafana definitely pushed some (so maybe he gets a C-) but we need that dimension on both sides of the pitch.  I'm excited to see what Jorge Moreira can do...  And yes, I'm expecting Moreira sooner than later, especially with all these road games.  Not entirely excited about the Mabiala-Cascante pairing at center back either...

David Guzman = B-
I am very happy that David is starting the year in the starting lineup, but I'm not happy that he pulled up a little lame.  He was fairly involved and was aggressive on the field of play which I think brings a nice balance to the aggressiveness Chara brings.  I'm not sure why he tried to head that goal home when he was clearly in an offsides position and the ball looked like it was about to squibble in but heck, any play that results in a red card for the other team lets all be forgiven, right?
Even when it seemed like things were breaking down he seemed to be more centrally and defensively involved than most others.

Diego Chara = C+
I distinctly remember one move where Chara went to plant and he didn't.  Meaning, he just kept going and thereby created an opening for the Colorado player with the ball.  Adaptation is the key to survival and he didn't seem to adapt.  It was a very "meh" game for Diego, a fruitless yellow card because he lost the ball and sought revenge (OK, it wasn't revenge but it was fruitless...), a second half where I feel like he got lost in the snow too often.  I go back to his stop and slide and I know that he wasn't able to put his best foot forward...

Andy Polo = B+
Probably my favorite player of the game.  He pushed and pushed, and kept himself involved and played a full 90 minutes (traditionally he has been the first player subbed off)!  His attacking down the right wing was a beautiful thing and I'm excited to see what he can bring with honest weather and perhaps an attacking wing back to complement...
Oh, and he was the reason for the Colorado own goal...

Diego Valeri = B+
I read somewhere where he took 16 corners.  That's a lot of corners.  And one of those did skip off Blanco's head into the back of the net.  And, he missed a penalty, but recovered and buried the rebound (damn you Tim Howard!).  From set pieces there is no other player I would rather have at the helm, but as for the run of play?  Lot's of miscues, miscommunications, mistimed runs...  But I'm going to focus on the good, not the bad or the ugly.

Sebastian Blanco = B
Did that really go off his head?  The trajectory of the ball changes so it must have right?  Good for him! But I expected more from Blanco.  I think he ends up being the top goal scorer for the Timbers this year (unless something changes up top) and so expectations are high.  And the grade is mostly for his first half effort as I will admit he seemed to evaporate in the second half...

Jeremy Ebobisse = D
I'm not going to flunk him, but I'm sooooo close...  Honestly, I can't think of a single player that was less involved or had a chance to be involved and chose not to.  He did have one nice creative moment at 70' but otherwise was really, really disappointed and I think they need to switch things up top (Melano-Blanco-Valeri triad up top???).  I'm not going to write much because, well, there isn't much to write about.

Andres Flores (subbed on for Guzman at 86') = C-
He subbed on and then....  Watch the trailing play, meaning, the players just off the periphery... Flores just subbed on but he looks exhausted and is just not able to get himself into position to do anything.

Lucas Melano (subbed on for Ebobisse at 87') = B
Did you see Melano take out the Colorado player to keep the corner?  You missed it didn't you...  88', go check it out. You all thought Melano was soft and flashy didn't you...  I like Melano and hope he gets an opportunity to put 65'-75' in from the first whistle.

Giovanni Saverese = C-
The Timbers earned a point.  But really they should have easily walked off with 3 points.  He should have subbed Ebobisse earlier and I think should have mixed things up on the back line or else given Blanco a sub for Asprilla to try and instill some energy on the offensive side, if even for a few minutes.  Since his arrival I have always questioned his substitutions.  His personnel decisions and his timing.  I know that he has some loyalty with Flores but I think he takes it too far with these decisions.  And why wasn't Paredes on the bench?  Conechny?  He showed us nothing last year and you had Melano and Asprilla...

Extra Credit...  How about MLS?  How about an F!
Are you serious?  We want to watch soccer not a snowball fight!  You put everybody at risk in those conditions all for nothing.  MLS needs to reconsider its criteria for when a game should be cancelled or else push the season back or else schedule all games in the southerly climates.  I don't know, but isn't it fun to rant?
Plus I got to use the "F" grade in the first post!

So there you go.  First game in the books.  One point is better than none but three points would have been better.  I definitely think we will learn more at LAFC this weekend.  Comments welcome and more to come!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 - Year of the Rabbit - Will the Timbers Bounce Back??

Portland Timbers Player Rater - vs. Toronto FC (8/29/18)

Portland Timbers 2022 Season Preview